Monday, August 11, 2014

Tshirt Dress Success - for the most part ;)

Tshirt dress up cycle

One of the things I have wanted to try for a long time now is up cycling tshirts of Caitlyn's into dresses.  There are a variety of reasons I want to do this, it's economical and gives me a chance to try to play with knits.  But mostly because my girl is a girly girl.  There has not been a single pair of shorts worn this summer.  It is all dresses, all the time right now.  So tshirts are being wasted on her.  lol

One late night I was searching Amazon (you know, because it's always smart to shop on Amazon late at night when you wish you were sleeping) and I stumbled upon this book: Sew Pretty T-Shirt Dresses


Yes...I'm sure there are million free tutorials out there but I'm a book girl.  And it was cheap enough that I was willing to risk the author had some good tips and ideas that would be worth me not spending days searching through tutorials to find the one I liked.  So purchase I did.  And I think it was worth it.  There are tons of examples of dress types in here and that alone helps me.  I can decide what type of t-shirt dress I like and what I don't.  That's half the battle people.

Tshirt dress up cycle


So I gathered a couple of languishing t-shirts from her drawer that were hand me downs, AKA if I messed them up I would feel no remorse, to try out this technique.  I don't want to give away any details of the author's technique because I would encourage you to buy her book if you are interested.  (Gotta respect the work the author did and not share it for free! ;)  ) But I will show you some pictures of my process and my final dresses.

Tshirt Dress Upcycle

I started by chopping up the tshirt as required.  What a gloriously freeing activity! (Yeah...I may need to get out more)

Tshirt Dress Upcycle

There were some bows permanently attached to this shirt, so I needed to make sure I gave myself a seam allowance around them.


Tshirt Dress Upcycle

I picked out a sweet little cotton print (Moda I believe) that worked well with the t-shirt print and hemmed it and sewed the side seam.  And then sewed it all together!


Tshirt Dress Upcycle


And my little model loved it!  She tried it on and didn't want to take it off.  That's always a good sign!  Plus she does like to model for me. lol

Tshirt dress up cycle


tshirt dress


I did do a second dress as well with the other t-shirt.  It turned out cute, but I made some other decisions in sewing it that made just a larger dress overall.  Perhaps the tshirt was a bit larger to begin with.  I'm not sure.  Regardless, though it turned out cute, I've put the dress up in the closet for next year.  It's just a little too oversized and looks a bit homemade rather than hand made. ;) It's always best to wear clothes that fit you.


Tshirt dress up cycle


So, it was an experiment that worked...sort of...one that will work for now and one that I guess will work for later. I still have lots of other ideas for combing t-shirts and other fabrics that involve elastic and shirring and other such crazy ideas. ;) But for now I'm comfortable with this new skill in my back pocket.


6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous dresses: congrats!! And such a sweet little model you have!! :-) I came here from Melissa Corry's blog and just had to tell you that I love several of the quilts that she showed from your book: I love your 9 patch and the Flower Power. What a fantastic bunch of quilts you have designed!! Hugs, H in Healdsburg

    ReplyDelete
  2. My older daughter went through a phase from age 3 through 3rd grade where she would wear nothing but long, twirly dresses. We had more than our share of t-shirt dresses (but requiring the full WOF for twirl). Some of the t-shirt dresses from that era got an extra flounce because she couldn't bear to quit wearing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute :o) My mum fought me into dresses for 'special occasions' until I was about 5, then gave up lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your daughter is gorgeous, and at that lovely age where she's still happy to be girly! I remember making my daughter a pair of cotton trousers with a ruffle at the hem, they looked so cute and she was very pleased with them, up to the point where her brother told her they were circus trousers and laughed at her. She point blank refused to wear them after that, and I never made clothes again. So enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are a cute idea. Your little model looks adorable

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate every one that I receive.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...